Q:

The probability that a randomly selected Americanhousehold owns at least one dog is 43%. The probability thatthe household owns at least one cat is 31%. The probability thatthe household owns either a dog or cat is 57%. What is theprobability that the household own both a cat and a dog?A 12%B.17%0.37%D. 131%

Accepted Solution

A:
Answer:B.  17%.Step-by-step explanation:The General Probability Addition Rule isP(A∪B) = P(A) + P(B) − P(A∩B)   where P(A∪B) = P(A) or P(B)  and P(A∩B) = P(A) and P(B).So applying this to our problem we have:0.57 = 0.43 + 0.31 - P( household has a cat and a dog)so the answer is 0.43 + 0.31 - 0.57= 0.17 or 17%.